Microservices best practices for app modernization software development
Technology has come a long way in the past few decades. In order to keep up, businesses have to adapt and change with the times. One of the ways businesses are doing this is by moving away from their traditional monolithic application development models to microservices-based application development models.
Microservices-based application development is a newer model that splits applications into smaller, more manageable pieces called microservices. This allows businesses to update, change, and improve individual microservices without affecting the rest of the application. It also makes it easier for businesses to outsource software development work because they can break down the project into smaller modules that are easier to manage.
However, there are some best practices that need to be followed when using a microservices-based application development model. These best practices include things like using containers, designing APIs correctly, and monitoring services closely. If these best practices aren’t followed, it can lead to problems like increased complexity, decreased performance, or even system failures.
What are microservices and why are they important for application modernization?
The benefits of microservices-based application development are many. By following the best practices listed above, businesses can get the most out of their microservices-based applications. Some of the benefits include:
– Increased flexibility – With a microservices-based application, businesses can change and update individual microservices without affecting the rest of the application. This increased flexibility allows businesses to keep up with the latest technology changes and trends.
– Increased scalability – A microservices-based application is more scalable than a traditional monolithic application. This means that it can handle more traffic and more users without becoming overloaded or crashing.
– Easier to manage and update – Since a microservices-based application is broken down into smaller pieces, it is easier to manage and update. This makes it easier for businesses to outsource development work and makes the application more agile overall.
How to design APIs correctly for a microservices-based application
Designing APIs correctly for a microservices-based application is important to ensure that the application functions correctly and delivers the desired results. There are a few key things to keep in mind when designing APIs for a microservices-based application:
– Keep the API simple – The best way to design an API for a microservices-based application is to keep it simple. This will make it easier for developers to use and will help to avoid confusion.
– Use standard protocols – When designing an API, it’s important to use standard protocols. This will help ensure that the API is compatible with other microservices-based applications and will make it easier for developers to scale it.
– Use descriptive naming conventions – It’s important to use descriptive naming conventions when designing APIs for a microservices-based application. This will help developers understand what each API does and how it should be used.
– Document – Make sure your API documentation is rich, and the swagger or WSDL files are well commented, so that anyone in your team who wants to consume these APIs are able to do so without too much assistance.
How to monitor services in a microservices-based application
When using a microservices, it’s important to monitor all of the services and their dependencies. This will help ensure your application is running smoothly and that no services are overloaded or crashing. There are a few ways to monitor services in a microservices-based application:
– Use logging tools – Logging tools can be used to monitor all of the services in a microservices-based application. By tracking the logs from all of the services, your ITOps team can identify any problems that may be occurring and fix them quickly.
– Use performance monitoring tools – These tools can help identify any performance issues or bottlenecks in the application or surrounding dependencies.
Tips for avoiding common problems with microservices-based applications
When using a microservices-based application development model, it’s important to be aware of the potential problems that can occur, here are some tips to consider:
– Don’t overuse microservices – When designing a microservices-based application, it’s important not to overuse microservices. This can lead to confusion and complexity, which can impact the performance of the application.
– Don’t use too many languages – When designing APIs for a microservices-based application, don’t use too many languages. This can make it difficult for developers to work with and can impact delivery schedules.
– Test applications thoroughly – It’s important to test applications thoroughly (e.g. Postman) before releasing them to your QA team and subsequently into UAT and production.
So, if you’re looking to update your application development model, consider using microservices-based application development. By following the best practices listed above, you’ll be able to get the most out of your application and stay ahead of the competition.
Next time we’ll look at how to go about migrating from a monolithic application to a microservices based solution and the considerations including concepts like Domain-Driven Design, before looking into how you’d disentangle a monolithic system and migrate it to a microservices architecture whilst maintaining business-as-usual.
Outsourcing software development is a great way to get high-quality, low-cost coding, get in touch with us if you want to explore a more cost effective approach to your application modernization strategy.